Friday, March 10, 2006

Meijer Bite Size Shredded Wheat

I have always been a fan of the sugar-coated version of shredded wheat but was not so sure that I that would translate to the plain kind. In fact, these have been sitting in my pantry for months as I avoided them for the sugary and far less healthy breakfast choices. We ran out of those yesterday and have not had a chance to go shopping so, it was pretty much these or nothing. To my surprise, they are not bad. They don't taste "health foody" and, since they absorb a lot of milk, actually were sweeter than I expected. They key was to let it soak in the milk long enough to saturate each one. No big deal for experienced shredded wheat eaters. The catch is, though, that you have to really like milk for this to be acceptable. No problem for me but, I know a few people that would gag at the thought. Nutritionally these are a winner. They have very low sugar, none added, as the only ingredient listed is 100% whole wheat. They also claim that it is 100% whole grain. They are, of course, loaded in fiber and have good set of vitamin and mineral nutrition and no sodium. It is important to note that, since the cereal is not overly sweet, it does not entice me to eat way more than I should as is typical with my normal breakfast fare. This is good news for someone trying to lose a few pounds.

I don't think I would have a problem eating this kind of shredded wheat, though it would still be more on the occasional side.

The Facts:
Serving Size: 1 1/4 cups (significantly larger than many breakfast cereals)
Servings per Container: about 10
Calories: 170
Fat: 1g (10 Calories)
Sodium: 0g
Potassium: 80mg
Fiber: 6g
Calcium: 2%
Iron: 6%
Thiamin: 8%
Riboflavin: 2%
Niacin: 15%
Phosphorus: 20%
Magnesium: 15%
Zinc: 8%
Copper: 8%
Weight Watchers Points®: 4 with 1/2 cup of skim milk

Manufacturer Says:
Not a whole lot. I guess they let the product speak for itself. They extoll the benefits of whole grain and that the product is 100% made whole grain wheat

Ratings:
Rating: (all rankings out of 5)
Overall: 4
Taste: 3
Satisfying/filling: 4
Healthy: 5
Performance (for athletes): 5
Diet Appropriate: 5
Category: Breakfast food/cold cereals

No comments: