Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Baked Tostitos Original Bite Size

My wife brought home some authentic homemade salsa, made in someone else's, and she told me I had to try it. Since eating salsa off of your fingers isn't very appealing, we broken open a bag of Baked Tostitos. The taste is not at all the same as the normal greasy chips but is not bad either. The chips are a bit thicker and are a little bit less crisp. They do taste lighter and saltier though, which is a big plus for a salt-lover like me, but would make them a bad choice for the sodium-conscious. They are certainly not as tasty as the regular chips and are not nearly as good to eat by themselves. Not a big problem as I was here to eat fantastic salsa, so I scooped up a bunch. I can say that the salsa was great, but that is another review! The point here is that the chips did not detract from enjoying the salsa. This way I can eat more salsa while cutting back on the calorie and fat intake.

The Conclusion:
I will probably buy these over regular chips for myself, since the chip is merely a conduit to enjoy the condiment and it is healthier. I may, however, opt for a more traditional choice when entertaining guests and others may be turned off by the modestly less appealing flavor.

The Manufacturer Says
A great way to enjoy reduced fat snacking.

The Facts
Serving Size: 1 oz.
Servings per Container: 13
Calories: 110
Fat: 1g (5 calories) No Trans Fat
Sodium: 200mg (kinda high)
Fiber: 2g
Protein: 3g
Calcium: 4%
Iron: 2%
Thiamin: 4%
Vitamin B6: 6%
Phosphorus: 6%
Weight Watchers Points® 2
Ingredients: Corn and Salt

Ratings: (all rankings out of 5)
Overall: 4
Taste: 3
Satisfying/filling: 3
Healthy: 4
Performance (for athletes): 3
Diet Appropriate: 4
Category: Snack Foods/Chips

1 comment:

kim said...

I like these too, but they are definitely more cracker-like than tortilla chip-like. Still very good, but not very comparable to real tortilla chips... except for shape.