Thursday, March 02, 2006

Crispy Delites 100% Natural Veggie Chips - Carrot

I have had enough dehydrated vegetables to know that no matter how much I may not care for the water-filled version I usually like the dehydrated version. The crispy Delites carrot chips are no exception. I suppose that after dehydrating them, the flavor becomes more subtle and it taste more like a snack food then a vegetable. Crispy Delites are baked in canola oil and have added salt with detracts a bit from the "healthiness" but makes them eminently more edible than they might be without. I do not think it appropriate to think of these as a substitute for fresh carrots but, as a better choice than potato chips and other similar indulgences. The lower fat and extra vitamins combined with pleasant flavor make these a decent choice. The chip alternative aspect is not very important to me because I pretty much never eat regular chips (tortilla chips are the exception). I think of these, rather, as a change of pace from my typical snack foods (frequently crackers) and as a good way to get a boost of vitamin A. I would probably eat them as a mid-afternoon snack or as a mid-workout snack. I don't see myself craving them or eating them on anything approaching a regular basis.

An additional plus, is the single serving bag at 105 calories is great for a small snack and to prevent overeating.

Manufacturer Says:
Dehydration method maintains 100% of the nutrition. A one ounce serving has almost a pound of fresh vegetables.

The Facts:
Serving size: 1oz
Servings per container: 1
Calories: 105
Fat: 3.5g
Calcium: 8%
Iron: 3%
Sodium: 120mg
Protein: 3g
Potassium: 20%
Vitamin A: 100%
Vitamin C: 30%
Vitamin E: 20%
Fiber: 2g
Weight Watchers Points: 2

Rating: (all rankings out of 5)
Overall: 3
Taste: 3
Satisfying/filling: 3
Healthy: 4
Performance (for athletes): 4
Diet Appropriate: 4
Category: Snack food

No comments: