Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Just Peas


When I got these as part of a gift basket from Well Baskets I wasn't sure what to do with them. A packet of dried peas? Is this called for in healthy recipes? Do I have to add something to them? Is this actually supposed to be a snack food? I generally like peas, but I never thought of them as something I would have as a quick and healthy snack. I studied the package a little more to see if they were sweetened or had something added to make them more than what they seemed but, NO! The package unequivocally states that the ARE Just Peas! I finally decided to give them a try. Not Bad! Not Bad at all! More than that, they are very good! When my six year old daughter saw me eating them she wanted to try. I thought there was no way that this would suit the typically sweet-toothed youngster but I was in for a surprise. Before I knew it they were all gone. Even my four year old sucked quite a few of them down. They were a hit among the kids, even those that don't like cooked peas.

The dehydration process softens the pea flavor some and adds a crunchy texture which makes them more appealing than I would have ever imagined. Make sure you have a glass of water around, though, because they will leave you parched after a full serving. For this reason, they would not be great to have close to exercise time, but are better suited to a mid-morning, lunchtime, or afternoon snack.

With protein, vitamin C, vitamin A, Iron, fiber, and low sodium Just Peas are a great alternative to other snack foods and made me excited to taste other offerings from the Just Tomatoes Company.

The Facts:
Serving Size: 1oz (1/2oz packet has half of the amounts found here)
Servings per container: 3.5 (1 serving is 1/2 oz packet)
Calories: 100
Fat: 0.5g
Sodium: 5mg
Dietary Fiber: 3g
Sugars: 7g
Protein: 7g
Vitamin A: 8%
Vitamin C: 20%
Calcium: 2%
Iron: 10%

The Manufacture Says:
These peas are a nutritious and filling snack--a favorite of kids and adults. More than just a snack... these peas are fun to cook with, too. Add them to soups, sauces, and rice dishes. Top salads and baked potatoes. Add to stir fry or pasta. Great source of vitamin A, vitamin C, and iron.

Ratings:
Rating: (all rankings out of 5)
Overall: 5
Taste: 5
Satisfying/filling: 4
Healthy: 5
Performance (for athletes): 4
Diet Appropriate: 5
Category: Snack Food and Herbs/spices

Try them now at: Just Peas

No comments: