Monday, June 11, 2007

Health Valley Chocolate Blastems


Cereal is a breakfast staple in my household. My daughter practically rolls out of bed in the morning with a cereal bowl and spoon already in hand. Any mom who has had the misfortune of shopping the cereal aisle with their kids could tell you – it’s a living nightmare! Temptations galore -– a never ending sea of brightly colored boxes reaching out to grab our kids with the promise of sugar-filled fantasies featuring the latest and greatest animation or film stars. While it is sometimes difficult (and much harder) to ignore their pleas, I try to remind myself just how horribly non-nutritious the majority of these cereals are -- offering up high fructose corn syrup, loads of sugar with little fiber and in many cases artificial coloring.

Happily, there are many respectable kid-friendly cereal alternatives in the health food section of most supermarkets. One of my kids’ favorites right now is Health Valley Chocolate Blastems. Chocolate Blastems are a USDA organic chocolate puffs cereal. It’s rich, chocolate flavor make my kids feel they are eating something sinful, while I am confident they are getting fortified whole grains with a lot more fiber and a lot less sugar then most commercial brands of cereal. In fact, the flavor is so good, my husband and I are known to enjoy an occasional bowl (for me, mostly as a evening snack to tame my nightly sweet tooth). Also, my kids love it sprinkled on yogurt and mixed with another healthful brand of peanut butter flavored cereal (EnviroKidz Organic Peanut Butter Panda Puffs – I’ll get to that in a later blog) for a kind of healthy Reese’s peanut butter cup taste – yummy! With only 160 calories a serving (that’s with milk too) and 8 grams of sugar and 3 grams of fiber it is a much healthier alternative for the entire family – so, grab your spoon and dig in!

No comments: