Saturday, June 02, 2007

Fruitabu Organic Smooshed Fruit Twirl

I couldn’t contain my excitement when a friend recently told me about a new product offering, Organic Smooshed Fruit Twirl, by FruitaBu (you might be more familiar with their parent company Stretch Island Fruit Company). After a three week long search, I finally scored my first box at my local supermarket and excitedly brought it home to try it out on my kids.

Some of you might be wondering (and a little frightened too) why I am so excited about what is commonly known among the school cafeteria set as a “fruit roll-up.” However, if you’re a Mom like me and you have kids that consider fruit snacks a lunchbox staple, you have tirelessly pored over the nutritional labels of every bright colored, character-ridden box of fruit snacks and fruit roll-ups in the hopes of finding one box, just one, that does not contain a ton of sugar, high fructose corn syrup and artificial flavors and colors (do you know a fruit that is naturally neon green?) as well as other unnatural ingredients.

While Fruitabu has made fruit leathers for sometime, what makes Fruitabu Fruit Twirl so fun and unique is that it is a long, thin strip of dried fruit puree, pressed onto a piece of waxed paper and all rolled up in a portable package – similar in design to many of the popular, sugar-laden brands kids are consistently clamoring for. However, unlike those brands, Fruitabu is made with organic fruit purees and organic fruit juices, with no added sugar or artificial anything. Also, it is considered one serving of real fruit at only 80 calories a serving. Fruitabu Fruit Twirl is available in three flavors, Smooshed Strawberry, Smooshed Apple, and Smooshed Grape. My kids have tried two of the three flavors and have enjoyed each so much they have stopped asking for that other stuff.

Now do you understand why I’m so thrilled I can put something in my kid’s lunchbox I and they could feel good about and that will help my kids eat more fruit?

No comments: