Monday, June 04, 2007

Glenny’s 100 Calorie Brownie


A quick walk down the snack food aisle of your local grocery store tells you that “100 calorie” is the latest buzz phrase in the marketing world. Obviously it has been designed for those of us interested in controlling our portion size in an effort to monitor caloric intake but unwilling to abandon our sugary addictions. Unless you are like me (and neurotically read nutritional labels), you probably have not noticed that many of these “sensible snacks” -- while low in calories -- are still chock full of unhealthy oils, high fructose corn syrup and artificial ingredients – not to mention many of these marketers are charging more for the privilege of eating less.

Given my skepticism regarding these 100 calorie snacks, I held out very little hope for an item I found on my last trip to the grocery store -- Glenny’s 100 Calorie Brownie (found in the health food section). It is a single serve brownie that comes in two flavors, Chocolate Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip – I tried the Chocolate Chip. When I opened the wrapper I was pleasantly surprised to find a decent sized brownie that actually looked like it could have been homemade. The first bite was exactly what you might expect from a brownie – sweet, chocolatey and slightly chewy. It had a pleasant rich chocolate flavor and I could imagine putting a scoop of frozen yogurt on top for a relatively guilt-free dessert. My husband (who is extremely critical on matters of “healthy” alternatives – it took me years to convince him whole grain pasta was better for him) agreed that aside from a slightly acidic flavor (might be due to the addition of lemon juice) was pleasant overall and he would willingly “eat it again” – might not seem like high praise to you, but YOU don’t know my husband.

In addition to its pleasant taste, unlike those other 100 calorie products, Glenny’s Brownie is made with organic cocoa, chocolate chips, sugar and butter and is all natural and contains a whopping 7 grams of fiber and 4 grams of protein per serving.


1 comment:

Tamara said...

WOW oh WOW does this sound exciting! A 100-calorie brownie with 7 grams of fiber?? Sounds like breakfast!