Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Silk Soymilk -- Vanilla flavor

I like milk... the regular stuff... good old white skim milk. The concept of soy milk was a little over the top to me (at least the idea of someone without milk allergies drinking it seemed over the top). However, at the suggestion of my sports nutritionist friend to try to cut back on animal food product to try to boost my whimpy metabolism, I got over myself and bought a carton. My first reactions.... smells a little odd... has a decidely NON-milk-like flavor... and did you know that soy milk is kinda gray???? However, in the spirit of having an open mind, I continued to use it. Drinking it straight is not exactly my favorite, though the vanilla does a lot to make up for the different flavor that's in there, but I have come to really like it in smoothies or poured over fruit with a little Splenda (yeah, I said it, SPLENDA -- take that ya sweetner-phobe Foodguru!). For the uninitiated to the world of soy milk, I wouldn't not recommend walking into it with an expection of soy milk being like cow milk, but expecting it to be a possibly delightful creamy beverage, slightly like milk in look and appearance, but in a category of its own in the consumable liquids genre. With the same general nutritional value as 1% milk (100 calories and 3.5 grams of fat per 8 oz serving for soy milk, 105 calories and 2.5 grams of fat for 1% milk), its worth a try!

No comments: