Friday, January 27, 2006

Sharkies Organic Energy Sports Chews--Berry Blast Flavor


I've never been a big fan of sports gels, drinks, or other "energy aids" and/or electrolyte replacement products, so it is with extreme bias and hesitation that I try Sharkies Organic Energy Sports Chews.

I'm prompted to try Sharkies only because they are a natural and organic source of electrolytes and energy, and I'd like to have such a product to recommend to athletes.

My initial reaction to these chewy snacks is that they taste like Gatorade gummy bears. Since I dislike Gatorade, I'm not a big fan. I eat about a handful of them, and my opinion remains the same--I don't like them. Keep in mind that I do not use this type of product before, during, or after a workout, and I did not try Sharkies in this context either. I cannot, therefore, attest to their ability to provide energy, boost endurance, or help in recovery. I can, however, tell you that after about 20 minutes of consuming Sharkies, I felt quite nauseous--a feeling which I can state with certainty would not assist me through a workout.

On the positive side, children seem to enjoy these, and they make a great alternative to candy.

Manufacturer Says: Certified Organic Real Fruit Chews for Energy & Endurance with A Natural Source of Electrolytes. Gelatin Free • Wheat Free • Fat Free • Vegetarian • No Gluten • Kosher. A handful of Sharkies is an easy and delicious way to give your body what it needs for optimal performance. The grape juice, which is a simple sugar, offers a quick burst of energy and the brown rice syrup is a complex carbohydrate, which offers longer sustained energy. The electrolytes allow for the absorption of water in the cells and keep your body hydrated.

He says: Good.

3 year old says: MMM! These are my favorite (holds out hand for more).

6 year old says: (Nothing. Nods head vigorously in approval.)

Try them now: Sharkies

No comments: